Monday, October 18, 2010

Planning & Materials

Having studied other peoples' costumes and the in-game models I did a bit of research on costume making techniques to decide how best to create the belt. There are two sites that have some quite impressive work on them: Volpin Props and Evil FX. They both have load of info about how to make a suit of Mass Effect armour from foam floor tiles...


...and Volpin has made a freakin' awesome AER9 Laser Rifle from Fallout.


Inspired by these two sites, I figured that floor tiles would be good to make the belt and metal suit pieces from, so I set about sourcing some while turning the texture file I mentioned earlier into a blueprint that I could cut the foam from.


Trying to find flat foam floor tiles in Vancouver is nigh-on impossible. After a week of searching I decided to go with these...


...and sand the texture off. Fortunately they are grey on the underside (which I'll use for the front). Not perfect, but it should be OK once the paint is all on (fingers crossed). And they were only fifteen bucks from Cambodian Tire.

Total spent: $15

No comments:

Post a Comment