Monday, October 18, 2010

The Suit Itself

Before I could go any further I needed to find a suitable jumpsuit or coverall to convert; this proved to be harder than I thought. None of the obvious places (Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc...) stocked jumpsuits and those that did (Army & Navy, Mike's Work Warehouse) only had them in navy blue (too dark!) or the wrong flippin' size! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

In desperation I tried the old army surplus store round the corner from my house, Gorilla Surplus.


Oh my God: why did I not come here first! Not only did they have a massive array of coveralls and flight-suits, but they were the right size and colour. On top of this, the fact that they had been used gave them that perfect post-apocalyptic look! Apparently these guys supply all the military props for Battlestar Galactica and Stargate. Looks like I lucked out!

Here is the suit...


...Vault Dwellers with a high Perception score may notice the bobblehead top-right. :)

I also picked up a broken airsoft Walther P99, which I'll use as my sidearm if I get time to paint it. I may well return to Gorilla later to pick up gloves, holsters, padding and maybe some aviator goggles if I am feeling crazy rich.

The only downside is that flight-suits are a bit more expensive than coveralls (apparently epaulettes are in high demand, dontchaknow)...

Flight-suit: $80
Walther P99: $15

Total Spent: $105

No comments:

Post a Comment